When it comes to home renovation, it’s smart to focus on improving the areas that see the most use, not only for increased functionality and enjoyment, but also to boost the home’s value come resale. Kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms and game rooms top the list of rooms homeowners would most like to remodel, according to a recent Ranker.com survey.
To better the most-used areas of your home, including those cited in the survey, consider the following:
1. Boost Air Quality – Air flow is critical to the health of your home and everyone who lives in it. Ventilation in kitchens and bathrooms carries away excess moisture that can cause mold and mildew, and creates a fresher, more healthful environment by exhausting stale indoor air. Bathrooms should be equipped with exhaust fans, and kitchen hoods should vent to the exterior of your home whenever possible.
2. Freshen the “Foundation” – A solid foundation is essential for a home—but that doesn’t just mean sturdy flooring. Wall and trim color are fundamental elements in any room. Simply repainting walls and woodwork can completely change the look of a room—even just a fresh coat in the existing color will make the room look brighter and newer.
3. Max Out Storage – Installing organizational systems in rooms where clutter typically collects is an easy, cost-effective way to improve the function of the room. In bedrooms, maximize closet space with ready-made units you can install yourself, or hire a professional closet organizer to custom-fit units to the space.
4. Swap Appliances and Fixtures – Outdated features are not only aesthetically displeasing; they can also cost much more to use than newer models. Replacing old faucets, shower heads, dishwashers and washing machines with energy-efficient alternatives can reduce bills and give kitchens and bathrooms a whole new look.
5. Welcome Natural Light – Most rooms in the home look better with natural lighting, and more daylight can help reduce the need for artificial lighting. Adding skylights and solar-powered window coverings are practical ways to bring more natural light into virtually any room, and you’ll recoup the investment in no time.
For more real estate information, contact me at email@example.com or on my mobile phone at 303-886-4618.